Importance of a Mentor in Business Development
Every business owner is very keen about developing his/her business. It is very important for one to stay at top in order to sustain in any market place and to reach there you need a mentor.
Here are few questions which always comes to our mind…
- How can I improve and develop my business?
- Can I do it all by myself all?
- Do I have enough time and resource to experiment?
- Should I have a mentor in developing my business?
Growth comes with experience, it is quite obvious. You start your business today and you will be successful in next few months is a myth. Experience comes with time, you need to give that time for your business development through the guidance of a Mentor.
There is a saying “You become what you focus on and like the people you spend with” – John Spence.
All our thoughts have very great effects in our life. If you have a clear thought of business development, then you focus on people who are the “industry experts”. Only a person who is an expert can mentor other business owners. As you start spending time with your mentor, the same attitude follows and you will become an expert in your business and hence business develops.
Here are a few tips from “16 Business Secrets” to guide, if you are ready for a mentor :
1. Mentoring will be successful only when there is a clear transfer of knowledge and implementation. As a business owner you need to decide, what do you want to learn and find who can mentor you.
2. Before hiring a mentor it is very important to set a clear goal and you need to set expectation with your mentor. This will help both to achieve what you are focussed upon.
3. Getting mentored should not become casual as if you are dating with a friend. It is work and both the mentor and the mentee should be very serious about the time commitment to achieve the target.
4. Mentoring should not be like a one way, if the mentor is teaching and giving the correct guidance and if mentee is not utilising within the time given, then your business will go no where. It is very clear how committed mentee is and how can he utilise the knowledge of a mentor. It can be in the form of books, ads and so on.
5. Mentoring should not lost for very long period of time. It is very important to have an time line for getting mentored. If you are taking mentoring for six months and if you both feel you need to spend more time in developing the business, then you can extend for few more months.
Every person will be successful in their business through the guidance of several mentors. Steve Jobs was mentored by Mike Markkula, Mark Zuckerberg was mentored by Steve Jobs, Larry page and Sergey Brin of Google was mentored by Eric Schmidt.
It is very important that how we utilise the knowledge gained by a mentor as a mentee. A mentor is a person who will guide you through out your journey in your business and hold your hand in every situation and make sure will achieve the goals you are aiming with.
As they say, “if student is ready, master will appear”. I will be more than happy to help you if you are ready!
Mail me to understand you better…